New high school timeline accelerated after flooding at RHSA

New high school timeline accelerated after flooding at RHSA
Superintendent Jason Kamras and S.B. Ballard site superintendent Alan Cramer said they will be able to prepare the new building in time for the upcoming school year.

Richmond Public Schools Superintendent Jason Kamras announced in a video on Friday afternoon that the district will open its newest high school earlier than originally planned.

The new Richmond High School for the Arts (formerly George Wythe) was initially planned to open after the next school year's winter break, in January of 2027. However, construction timelines moved that date up to late September as of earlier this year.

Now, flooding at the previous school is moving the timeline up once again.

Kamras thanked the contractor, S.B. Ballard, for committing to accelerating its work so the school can open for the first day of the 2026-27 school year on Monday, August 24.

Kamras said that students and staff would have an opportunity to enter the old building in the coming days to gather their personal belongings.

The old building will be demolished after the new one is opened.

Richmond High School for the Arts closed after flooding
A new school is under construction directly adjacent to the current school, with a scheduled move date of mid-September.

S.B. Ballard site superintendent Alan Cramer said crews will work seven days a week to get the new building ready.

Contact Michael Phillips at mphillips@richmonder.org.